It’s officially summer and a lot of folks have a little extra time on their hands. It’s time to get downtown and enjoy things that are exclusive to the season or that are just extra enjoyable this time of year. Let us help by providing you this Downtown Waco Summer To-Do List:
1. Get on the river – Immediately, if not sooner, get to Pura Vida Paddle or Waco Paddle Co. and rent a kayak or stand-up paddle board. The Brazos is roomy and calm and the views of Downtown Waco and Baylor University from the river are the best!
2.Splash around – If you’d rather flirt with water than submerse yourself in it, grab the kiddos and get to the splash pad in Pecan Bottoms/Cameron Park. Still refreshing and fun and, yes, it’s ok for grown ups to get splashed too!
3. Get lost in the woods – Hiking might not be the most obvious summer activity, but you’d be surprised how cool the trails can be, often shielded from the sun’s hottest rays. The trail “California 56” takes dips into a little mini bamboo forest where the air can be like a cool current in a lake. Go exploring, find your own cool spots. Remember, the trails show up on the Google maps app, so you never have to really be lost.
4. Go see the Dr (P, that is) – What’s better than a Dr Pepper float on a hot summer day? A DP float at a real soda counter … at the place that DP was invented. Visit the soda shoppe at the Dr Pepper Museum and Free Enterprise Institute.
5. Drink a watermelon – You heard right, drink a watermelon. The Luna juice bar truck liquifies watermelon inside the rind and serves it that way. Super refreshing AND adorable. Yes, you’ll need to dash over to the Siloteria at Magnolia Market to get a watermelon, we think it’s worth it.
6.Watch the ball drop – Hang out at the Suspension Bridge or the Franklin Avenue bridge at sunset, look West and watch as the end of the day slides into the river.
7. Add some spark and sizzle – Speaking of the river … stake out a spot along the river to watch the July Fourth fireworks as they launch from near McLane Stadium. Or enjoy the full Fourth on the Brazos experience by joining the free fun at Tailgate Alley.
8. Go to the market – Sure, we want you to go to the Waco Downtown Farmers Market year round, but there’s something extra special about it in the summer. Peaches that you can bite into right away, sunflowers as big as your face, tables overflowing with summer veggies. Start your Saturday off right at the market!
9. Eat your way through town – Take a little time this summer to try ALL the food trucks. Make a thing of it, sharing dishes with friends, making notes and determining your favorites. Sounds like a delicious task!
10. Be an ambassador – It’s safe to say that Downtown Waco is going to be a hot tourist spot all summer. So why not show our visitors a little Waco hospitality? When you come downtown, consider riding a leg of the Silo District trolley. And while you do, offer up some local tips to the tourists. It’s a good deed that goes a long way!