No matter how long you’ve been in Waco, you’ve probably spent some time by the Brazos River. Originally named Rio de Los Brazos de Dios, translating to “The River of the Arms of God,” the river was historically a major water source and means of transportation in Central Texas. Today, its rich history lives on and the Brazos is a source of fun activities and photo-worthy views in the heart of downtown. Here are a few ways you can make the most of having the Brazos River right here in Waco:
1. Waco Paddle Company: One of the best places to beat the Texas heat is at Waco Paddle Co. They offer a variety of watercraft rentals along the river, including paddle boarding, kayaking, and canoeing.
2. Slow Rise on the Brazos: Following the success of their first location in Woodway, Slow Rise Pizza recently added a location on M.L.K. With plenty of outdoor seating overlooking the river, it’s the perfect place to grab a slice and stay a while on a summer afternoon.
3. Cameron Park: Home to over 20 miles of trails for hiking and biking, Cameron Park’s limestone cliffs provide the most picturesque views of the Brazos River. Set up a picnic at the top of the ever-popular Lover’s Leap to see for yourself!
4. Buzzard Billy’s: A local favorite for almost 30 years, Buzzard Billy’s offers must-try Cajun food and seafood, as well as an indoor/outdoor bar area. Crawfish Queso and Fried Gator are just a few of their unique menu items you can’t get anywhere else.
5. Waco Tours River Cruise: If you’re looking to sit back and relax on the Brazos, Waco Tours offers river cruises from spring to fall. This refreshing tour of the river takes you to see beautiful wildlife and some of Waco’s most famous landmarks.
Check out these local gems and soak up the last weeks of summer by the Brazos!