Hello, 2024, and the myriad of opportunities it brings! We have a gift for you as you begin your New Year’s resolutions … a scenic walking trail through Downtown Waco! Read ahead for the best way to get your steps in this new year!
To begin, we start on the tree-lined Austin Avenue! Settled right in the center of Downtown Waco, Austin Avenue gives you a perfect view of the famous ALICO Building and the McLennan County Courthouse, making it the ideal spot to start our walking trail.
- Jake’s Texas Tea House: Stop by this retro eatery with a gas station theme, homemade desserts and your favorite local beers!
- Cameron Trading Co.: This antique furniture store is two stories filled with endless antique goodies.
- Pura Vida: Book a massage appointment at Pura Vida to start your walk off on the right foot!
Once you walk down Austin Avenue, you’ll turn left on N 3rd St. and wind up at the River District on University Parks. The River District is home to one of the most iconic Waco staples — the historic suspension bridge! Enjoy a taste of nature as you walk alongside the Brazos River and over the suspension bridge!
- Mamaka: For a mid-walk pick-me-up, grab a smoothie bowl from Mamaka!
- Indian Springs Park: Take a break before walking to East Waco at the shaded benches. Get a sense of Waco’s history with the Branding of the Brazos statues!
Welcome to historic East Waco! Immediately after walking over the suspension bridge, you’ll be greeted by East Bridge St., home to the East Bridge St. Plaza, where you’ll begin the descent of our walking trail.
- Brotherwell Brewing: Time to grab a beer at Brotherwell Brewing!
- Bridge St. Farmer’s Market: Coming on a Wednesday? From 5 to 8 p.m., enjoy live music and wellness activities!
After enjoying a beer at Brotherwell Brewery, make your way to Elm Avenue — the final stop on our walking trail. Elm Avenue underwent several reconstruction stages but is now improved and ready to welcome you on your last push through your walk.
- Street Dog Cafe: Did you bring your furry friends? Revive yourself and your pup at Street Dog Cafe with a coffee or treat from Street Dog Cafe!
- GG’s FlowerHut: End your walk and stop and smell the flowers at GG’s FlowerHut!
Cheers to a year filled with steps, stories and the promise of new beginnings in 2024!